The core of our model of financial empowerment for family enterprise is the Village Savings and Loan Association (VSLA). We train communities in managing and administering their own micro savings and loan. This globally validated model brings the community together to save together and to empower each other.
This model gives us a number of advantages over and above the intrinsic effectiveness of the model itself:
- Each member is assessed both in terms of character and ability and rated by the community that knows them and their capacities most intimately.
- The community has a stake in the honesty and effectiveness of their assessments.
- These assessments are available to us, the assisting foundation, to aid us in the assessment of possible clients for further support for their family enterprise.
From this base we have three main additional modes of engagement.
- VSLA membership: we become additional members in the VSLA adding to the capital available to the community and earning interest on our investment along with the the other members
- Rent-To-Own: we supply capital equipment (such as sewing machines, tools, etc.) on a rent to own contract basis
- Equity Partnerships: we make equity investments in select family-enterprise ventures to assist them in scaling their businesses
SUPPORT THE PROJECT
Read about about our complete Holistic Intervention Model.